Last update: 5 months ago
As undemanding as they look uPVC window frames need to be properly maintained. There are different colour variations depending on the film they have been coated with, but the most common are the white frames.
White uPVC window frames are often found hard to maintain because the accumulated dirt is more visible and this requires regular cleaning. Restoring the perfect look of this type of window frames up to professional standards has its own fine points you must be aware of when cleaning them.
Supplies you need
- A bucket;
- Lukewarm water;
- 2 x clean cloths;
- Vacuum cleaner;
- uPVC cleaning solution.
Follow the steps below to achieve the desired shiny look you are after!
How to Clean uPVC Window Frames
- Loosen up the dirt. It’s hard to clean anything that has been dirty for a long time. So, before you start doing anything, use a small brush to loosen up any hard dirt If you don’t have a brush, you can use a rag with a rougher texture. Then, vacuum the loosened dirt with a hoover.
- Wash the residue. First, fill the bucket with lukewarm water. Dip a cloth into the water and gently wipe out the window frame surface internally and externally. The reason we’re not using a detergent yet is to make sure to remove anything that might get smudged later. Wipe the area dry.
- Use a detergent. For more stubborn marks and spots use a special uPVC cleaner you can get from a respected PVC supplier. Buff off the excess detergents with a cotton or microfiber cloth for a shiny look!
Despite having to do this procedure for every new stain, the good news is that the surface itself makes the cleaning process a lot easier. Also, in most cases, you can get rid of the dirt and grime on 100% using these cleaning methods.
How to remove paint from UPVC window frames
- Apply UPVC solvent frame cleaner and wait some time for the paint to soften.
- Use a nonabrasive scouring pad to scrub the painted surface.
- You can use a steam cleaner or Magic Erasers for additional help if the solvent doesn’t help.
How to clean cement off UPVC windows
This can be a very annoying and difficult task to do. Especially because you need to be careful not to damage and leave scratches onto the frames. Which is why in most cases it is a good idea to look for after builders cleaning and leave the job to professionals. In case you want to take on the task, here is what you need to do:
- Spray the desired area with a commercial cement dissolver.
- Wait until the cement gets soft and use a soft sponge or pressurised water to clean.
- Use a cloth to wipe any residue. uPVC cleaner is also an option to restore the polished look of the frame.
We think you’ll like…
Apart from the cleaning steps, you should also have in mind these tips in order to achieve the perfect look for your uPVC frames. They are easy to remember and can save you potential damages.
Cleaning uPVC Window Frames Tips
- Only use white rags when cleaning. The reason for this is that brightly coloured cloths may colour the uPVC window frame while wiping them with the cleaner This is the type of stain you don’t want there, as it’s difficult to remove.
- Use a nonabrasive cleaning solution. This is very important, because the surface of the plastic window frames despite being sturdy, it’s very prone to scratching. Another detergent you should avoid is bleach, or you may end up with ruined and discoloured window frames.
- Don’t use the same procedure on the glass. Remember, glass is very different from uPVC, so everything you read so far should only be used on the frames. Cleaners for uPVC should never be applied on glass.
Maintaining uPVC window frames is not a hard task and it doesn’t take a lot of efforts, but it’s good to know a few tips that can ensure the shine of your snow-white window frames. Following the steps above will guarantee you a cleaning success. Doing it regularly will contribute to the proper maintenance of your windows and you’ll be able to enjoy their great look.
We recommend cleaning your windows professionally or by yourself every three months. Do this and don’t forget to pay attention to the frames, sills and definitely clean the window screens as well. Don’t concentrate your efforts and time only on the window panes. If you’re doing it right, then you need not worry for the state of the uPVC frames because deep cleaning your windows often enough will preserve their shiny, spotless look.
Need a Cleaner?
Enter your postcode to view our rates and availability in your area.
Was this post helpful? Do you have any window frames cleaning that you can share in the comment below or on our social media channels? We’d love to hear them!