Last update: 6 months ago
You’re very lucky if you have your own conservatory at your home. But, if you’re one of the lucky people who can enjoy a cup of coffee in your own conservatory, there are probably things that bother you.
One of them should be exactly how to remove that dusty and leafy stains of your conservatory roof. This is quite a tricky job to do, so we are keen on sharing a simple procedure for cleaning a conservatory roof.
If done the right way, you will achieve some great results, meaning unobstructed sky view!
Equipment for Safety Measures
Being safe should be your main priority. Before attempting any window cleaning job that involves heights, you should always have the proper equipment.
- Working gloves;
Important: Never step on the roof or on fragile surfaces!
Once you have the safety gear you may proceed to the actual cleaning preparation.
There are two ways you can attempt to clean your conservatory roof. One of them is using a telescopic window cleaning pole and the other one includes a ladder.
Professional cleaners suggest using a ladder only if there is a concrete wall to secure it on. Don’t attempt using a ladder on glass surfaces, as they are fragile and the situation may go terribly wrong. Always consider your safety first.
Using the telescopic pole is the best option because you are on the ground and there are no heights involved.
Tools you will need
- A ladder;
- A bucket;
- Conservatory roof cleaning fluid;
- Telescopic cleaner with squeegee;
- A brush to attach on the telescopic pole;
- PVC cleaner – for the framing.
Once you’ve gathered all the tools you may move on to the actual cleaning of the roof. We will go through the process by listing the main steps you should take.
However, because of health and safety reasons you think you won’t be able to clean the conservatory roof by yourself, you better call Fantastic Cleaners to take care of the task. If you’ve decided to dive in and show your cleaning skills, this guide is for you. The advice here is suitable for washing both self-cleaning glass roof and polycarbonate conservatory roof.
How to Clean Conservatory Roof Glass
- Prepare a solution. Fill in your bucket with lukewarm water, but don’t overfill it. You want to minimise the chance of spilling, so fill it up to the middle. Put some of the conservatory cleaner into the water. On the box of the detergent, you may find the instructions about the method for mixing the solution. Note that if you don’t follow the instructions, you probably won’t achieve the desired effect.
- Set your equipment. Attach both the squeegee and the brush on the telescopic pole. Follow the instructions because the assembling method is different for the various pole types. Place the ladder at the appropriate side of the conservatory (If you’re going to use one). Put your helmet on.
- Wash the window glass. Dip the brush into the bucket with the cleaning solution. Climb the ladder (or if you’re using long enough telescopic pole skip the ladder) and scrub the glass surface, but be careful not to apply too much pressure.
- Wipe with the squeegee. Clean off the foam with the squeegee starting from the top of the roof moving downwards. Repeat until the surface is free of foam and there are no more stubborn spots.
- Change the dirty water repeatedly. You should change the water with the cleaning solution every time it gets too dirty. Otherwise, you will transfer the dirt onto the glass surface and smear it
- Clean the frames. If you have purchased a PVC cleaner for the frames we suggest you clean them when you’re done with the window panes. Use either a mop attachment for the pole or another suitable cleaning tool depending on the type of PVC cleaning solution. Let your windows air-dry for and enjoy clean conservatory roof.
We think you’ll like…
A Few Tips for Advanced Specialists
- Avoid cleaning the roof during a very hot day under the scorching sun because the cleaning solution will dry too quickly and there may be some water drop spots left on the surface.
- Always make sure the tools and detergents you use are meant for window treatment.
- Never use abrasive detergents and tools, as they will damage the surface.
- Don’t attempt cleaning the conservatory roof on rainy days.
- The best time to clean the conservatory roof is in the afternoon or early in the morning when the sun is not shining bright but there is still natural light.
- Since you’re at the rooftop anyway, there is another crucial house responsibility you have to carry out – gutter upkeep. If in lack of time, consider resorting to professional gutter cleaning company.
Now your conservatory roof should be all nice and set for you to brag with it. It is not an easy job to get a conservatory roof clean, but the end result is worth it.
Remember, if you feel like you won’t be able to clean the conservatory roof on your own, don’t have the proper equipment or just don’t have the time, you can always give Fantastic Cleaners a call. The professional cleaners know how to do the job perfectly ensuring the protection of your property.
Need a Cleaner?
Enter your postcode to view our rates and availability in your area.
Was this post helpful? Do you have any conservatory roof cleaning tips that you can share in the comment below? Let’s hear them out!