Last update: 2 weeks ago
You’re very lucky if you have your own conservatory at your home. But, if you’re one of the lucky people who can enjoy a cup of coffee in your own conservatory, there are probably things that bother you.
One of them should be exactly how to remove that dusty and leafy stain out of your conservatory roof. It is incredibly difficult to clean, so we are keen on sharing a simple procedure on cleaning the conservatory roof.
If done the right way, you will achieve some great results!
Equipment for Safety Measures
Being safe should be your main priority. Before attempting any window cleaning job that involves heights, you should always have the proper equipment.
- Working gloves;
- Never step on the roof or on fragile surfaces!
Once you have the safety gear and make sure you remember the last most important tip, you may move on to the actual cleaning preparation.
There are two ways you can attempt to clean your conservatory roof. One of them is using a fed pole and the other one is including a ladder.
Professional cleaners suggest you use a ladder only if there is a concrete wall to secure it on. Don’t attempt using a ladder with only glass surfaces, as they are fragile and the situation may go terribly wrong.
Using the fed pole is the best option because you are on the ground and there are no heights involved.
Tools you need
- A ladder;
- A bucket;
- Conservatory roof cleaning fluid;
- Telescopic cleaner with squeegee;
- A brush to attach on the other side of the telescopic pole;
- PVC cleaner – for the framing.
Once you’ve gathered all the tools you may move on to the actual cleaning of the roof. We will go through the process by listing the main steps you should take.
Remember safety should always come first, so if you are afraid you won’t be able to clean the conservatory roof by yourself, you better call Fantastic Cleaners to take care of the task. If you’ve decided to dive in and show your cleaning skills, this guide on how to clean both self cleaning glass roof and polycarbonate conservatory roof is for you!
How to Clean Conservatory Roof Glass
- Prepare a solution. Fill in your bucket with lukewarm water, but don’t overfill it. You want to minimize the chance of spilling, so fill it to the middle of the bucket. Put some of the conservatory cleaning solutions into the water. On the box of the detergent, you may find instructions about the amount and how many litres of water you’ll need. Note that if you don’t follow the instructions, you probably won’t achieve the desired effect.
- Set your telescopic pole. Attach both the squeegee and the brush on both of the sides of the telescopic pole. Place the ladder at the appropriate side of the conservatory (If you’re going to use one). Put your helmet on.
- Wash the glass window. Dip the brush side of the telescopic pole into the bucket. Climb the ladder (or if you’re using long enough telescopic pole skip the ladder) and gently brush the window surface.
- Wipe the glass window. Switch into using the squeegee. Swipe away the foam starting from one side reaching the other side. Repeat until the surface is free of foam and there are no more stubborn spots.
- Repeat. Change the water in the bucket and refill with detergent after a few cleanses. Otherwise, if the soapy water gets dirty you will transfer the dirt onto the window surface.
- Clean the frames. If you have purchased a PVC cleaner for the frames we suggest you clean them when you’re done with the windows. Use either a cloth or a suitable cleaning tool depending on the type of PVC cleaning solution. Let your windows air-dry for best results.
A Few Tips for Advanced Specialists
- Avoid cleaning the roof when the sun is very bright because the glass windows will dry too quickly and there may be some water drop marks left.
- Always make sure the tools and detergents you use are meant for windows.
- Never use abrasive detergents, as they will damage the surface (baking soda is abrasive too).
- Don’t attempt cleaning the conservatory roof on rainy days.
- The best time to clean the conservatory roof is in the afternoon because the sun is not at its brightest but there is still natural light.
Now your conservatory roof should be all nice and set for you to brag with it. It is not an easy job to get a conservatory roof clean, but the end result is worth it.
Remember, if you feel to clean the conservatory roof on your own, you can always give Fantastic Cleaners a call. The professionals we work with know how to do the job perfectly and to protect your conservatory.
Need a Cleaner?
Enter your postcode to view our rates and availability in your area.
Was this post helpful? Do you have any conservatory roof cleaning tips that you can share in the comment below? Let’s hear them out!